My Life With Depression - Twitterverse Remix

Hello, my Lovelies!

The fact that I suffer from depression is the worst kept secret ever. I hid it at first because, you know, trying to start a writing career, I didn't want someone to look at me like I was a nut case. I slowly left that thinking behind me. It took some time, meds for a hot minute, and therapy for me to understand that I've been clinically depressed for over 32 years. On a recent trip home to St. Louis (enjoyed it immensely!), I had a discussion with my mom, brother, sis-in-law, step dad and cousin that made me realize where the depression stemmed from and how it started. I won't go into that, but I really felt connected to my family more than I had in my nearly 50 years on Planet Stinkyball Earth. Things that are said or done early in life have a great impact on you later in life without you even realizing it.

So I came back to Georgia and set about writing the book that I will read at DragonCon on Friday, September 4th (date change). However, on August 7, a Twitter hashtag campaign called #TheWorstThingAboutDepressionIs started, and I remember my heart stopping when I saw it. I can speak about my personal experience with it, but reading the tweets of others really put things into perspective for me.  You're like, "yeah...I feel just like that." It's not even about how you feel mentally, but it takes you down with physical aches, pains, headaches, and feeling run down. Without even thinking about it, I began tweeting. It was one of the most therapeutic things I've done outside of therapy. I felt so connected to people who could see through the energetic smile, bubbly personality, and affable (stop laughing) image that I was projecting and could see the horribly broken person that I truly am. It was mind blowing, and I showed my battle scars without limits. You see, those who don't suffer from depression have a difficult time dealing with those who do. We're looked at as "what do you have to be depressed about?" "Just smile and be happy." Then you get those who are tired of hearing you talk about it and you can see it in their faces. That's when you shut down and go silent; then you're viewed as having an attitude problem. The campaign was very invigorating for me. It was my "exhale" moment. 

The fact of the matter is I'll never be free from depression. It'll always be a part of me, no matter what. It's not a "feeling" like I'm hungry or feel bummed out. It's a chemical imbalance, some worse than others, and I always have to pay attention to triggers that could start a spiral and take me down a dark tunnel. Spiraling is easy; digging my way out? Not so much, and there's no real way to avoid them. What I do is work on how to manage them and the triggers that set me off. It's not always possible, but I've become somewhat better about dealing with it. 

There is no shame in suffering from depression, and unfortunately the stigma of it makes others hide in the darkness. Many who feel no way out often end up suicides, and it takes the death of a famous person to make others even talk about it. I know how hard it is - trust that, but you have to reach out for help. Don't sit in the darkness alone. Please seek help. You can contact the National Suicide Hotline at 1 (800) 273-8255 or their website http://www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org/ 

"All About Mood" is a great place to discuss online:

A great blog on depression, bipolar, and mental health from Dave Wise:

Dave Wise's Blog

I could go into this long, descriptive blog about how I felt or what I said, but then, it's easier to just show you. These are my tweets and some retweets, but I recommend you go to Twitter and open the hashtag and see some amazing tweets. 

This is My Life With Depression - Twitterverse Remix




















Until we meet again, CYA!

~me~

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting To Know Me, Getting to Know You: Explaining My Demonic World

Being A Black Paranormal Demon Writer In A Color Struck World

Reflections Of You - My Tribute to Mrs. Sabrina Leon Davis